Friday, February 17, 2006

Tonight's Dessert: Fudgy Brownies

When I make brownies from scratch, I usually make the brownie recipe I learned in the '70s from BETTY CROCKER'S COOKBOOK FOR BOYS AND GIRLS -- which, by the way, is a fine cookbook. The Molasses Crinkles recipe is one of the all-time great cookie recipes.

Tonight I decided to launch the holiday weekend by trying something new: the fudgy brownie recipe from MARTHA STEWART'S BAKING HANDBOOK.


The Martha Stewart brownie recipe calls for (gulp) four times as much baking chocolate as the Betty Crocker recipe! Needless to say, they had a good chocolatey taste. However, despite cooking the brownies for the lowest suggested time, 40 minutes, they came out more dry and cakey than fudgy. I'll try this recipe again but start checking for doneness after 30 minutes.

The BAKING HANDBOOK is filled with "can't wait to try them" recipes, not to mention gorgeous photography. I think I'll make the baking powder biscuits with dinner tomorrow night...

2 Comments:

Blogger Julius said...

Hi Laura,

I chanced upon your blog, and read your musings on Martha's brownies (The Baking Handbook).

Her brownies are quite fudgy and moist depending on the % cocoa of the chocolate you use. At >65%, they are dry when baked at 40 minutes, at ~55%, they are perfect at 40 minutes. At any less cocoa %, they actually tend to be wet (this can be remedied with refrigeration). The brownies are also always better when cut 24 hours after baking.

I use Martha's recipe as a stand-by and quite love it. Hope it works out for you too.

Julius
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com

9:43 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for your tips, Julius, I have printed them out for future reference. I'll be sure to check out your blog.

Best wishes, Laura

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older