Tuesday, May 16, 2006

"Grey's Anatomy": Wow!

Until last night, I'd only watched Season 1 of GREY'S ANATOMY on DVD. Monday evening, lured by USA Today's rave review (linked above), I couldn't resist tuning in to the Season 2 finale. I rarely mind spoilers and decided I didn't want to wait months more to see the season cliffhanger.

Gulp! Talk about a rock 'em, sock 'em ending. I never thought I'd say this, but I think I now love Alex. :) (It's a bit incongruous and rather nice to learn that in real life Justin Chambers is married with 5 kids.)

The comments at the show's official blog, Grey Matter, number nearly 1000 this morning. I think it's wonderful that the writers have provided a forum for the show's viewers to share their opinions and interact with the creative team.

I came across an interesting blog post at Rhythms of Grace which reminded me of something I wrote here in April about how GREY'S makes viewers think. Mary wrote:

"It's not a Christian show by any stretch of the imagination, but...maybe it is...when it's over, every week without fail, I sit and take stock of my life, of my love, of my choices... I think I must have talked to that TV the whole two hours... In the end, you are left with the question--What would I have done? We'd all like to believe that we'd do the right things, be the right people, but even as we watch, cry and yell at the TV, we know we might not. We know that we need Jesus."

Season 2 will be released on DVD in September, when Season 3 is due to start airing on ABC.

I have the feeling I'm going to be watching Seasons 2 and 3 simultaneously...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only seen bits and pieces of Grey's Anatomy and Meredith always seems to be crying! This is very disturbing because she is NOT a pretty crier from what I've seen.

Maybe instead of West Wing, I'll have to borrow season 1 of this. Particularly as it is moving to Thurday nights next year and maybe then I'll watch it.

By the way, did you notice Amazon.com's strange pricing of the boxed sets of West Wing? Buying the boxed set of the first 5 seasons is $100 less than buying the boxed set of the first 6 seasons! Pretty priceeeee, that 6th season!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Maybe "crying ugly" is part of the show's attempt to be grounded in "reality"? LOL.

If good TV is TV that stays with you, GREY'S is definitely good TV (grin). Scenes from last night's episode have been flitting through my mind on a regular basis today.

I should be receiving Season 6 of WEST WING in a few days! I hope they will announce the DVD release of the final season soon. I'd like to have the entire show.

TTYS! Laura

10:58 PM  
Blogger UGN said...

Wow, you really liked that show. Maybe I need to check it out. I haven't watched it yet because from the commercials it seems to be about little more than doctors and nurses sleeping around. Have I been led astray? BTW, I never hear you say anything about Lost. Now that is one heck of a show. We watched the first season on DVD and couldn't stop watching until 2 a.m. some days (I was off track from teaching).

4:30 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

GREY'S has its soapy elements, that's for sure (grin), but I think it goes deeper than that in the way it explores issues not only with their relationships but the way it raises questions of ethics and morals in the workplace (with the medical setting there are a lot of interesting issues that come up). There is often a "theme" for each show, introduced in an opening narrative, and the show then illustrates that theme.

Eldest daughter hasn't been watching the show, but she had a very interesting spontaneous discussion tonight with her Christian piano teacher about marriage and morality, and what choice do you make when confronted with happiness vs. the moral thing to do? This was directly spurred by her teacher still being emotionally affected by the finale of GREY'S; not the kind of conversation you'd have after, say, DALLAS. (Grin) The teacher, like the blogger I quoted, said she'd spent two hours talking to the TV, trying to tell the characters what to do. It's just a very different kind of show in that way.

I've heard great things about LOST but confess I've never seen a minute of it -- I think probably mainly because "mystery"/scary fantasies, etc. aren't my thing. But I've wondered from time to time if I should give it a chance. It sure sounds like you give it a big thumbs up based on your late-night viewing!! TTYS, Laura

7:38 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

PS Husband initially thought GREY'S was a "chick flick" type show and wasn't interested, but as I watched Season 1 on DVD he ended up being caught up in it himself and started watching it too. :)

7:42 PM  
Blogger UGN said...

We didn't watch Lost until the middle of the second season. We rented the first season and, like I said before, couldn't stop watching it. If you decide to see it, I would do it that way. Since we are almost at the end of year two, you can watch two seasons.

We REALLY enjoy House on Fox.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

The review linked in this post's subject line also raves about HOUSE. I just recently realized that the lead actor had a memorable supporting role in SENSE AND SENSIBILITY with Emma Thompson. :)

One of the many things I love about DVD is the ability to check out TV shows that you haven't watched from the start! That's how we got started on GILMORE GIRLS and we also loved SPORTS NIGHT on DVD. I'll keep your recommendations in mind!

Laura

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older