Sunday, August 13, 2006

Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt

I've very much been enjoying Alton Brown's new Saturday show on the Food Network, FEASTING ON ASPHALT.

Brown spent a month on a cross-country motorcycle trip searching for interesting places to eat...and he certainly found them.

On the show he also spends quite a bit of time dishing out fascinating bits of food history, including info on Fred Harvey's Harvey Houses and foods which originated at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.

Brown's four-episode series concludes next weekend. Food Network will be running a marathon of all the shows if you want to catch up.

For more details, visit Alton Brown's website or the Food Network (subject link).

The Christian magazine Guideposts recently ran a very interesting article by Brown. Be sure to check it out if you're a Brown fan. If you're not a Brown fan already, you might become one after reading his essay.

As a postscript, if you want to learn more about Harvey Houses and the "Harvey Girls," you may enjoy THE HARVEY GIRLS: WOMEN WHO OPENED THE WEST by Leslie Poling-Kempes or FRED HARVEY: CREATOR OF WESTERN HOSPITALITY by William Patrick Armstrong, which are both on my shelves. (My interest began, of course, with the movie!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

If there was one reason to get cable it would be the cooking shows and Animal Planet (OK, make that two!)

I did find that cookbook for crock pots. Last copy on the shelf. Haven't tried any yet but I will this week. I am on Jury Duty call in and live day to day.

I really enjoy your blog postings. I have the same views as you regarding politics, support home schoolers (I am a teacher's aide at a Christian school), love your old movie pics and of course Disneyland. Enjoy your photos of the park. I am concerned about things I am reading on MiceChat and MousePlanet regarding rides breaking down. I hope this is not a foretaste of things to come under the new leadership.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much for your kind note, Irene! It's nice to know others share so many similar interests, and I particularly appreciate knowing you have been enjoying my posts.

I hope you like the crockpot cookbook! I'm looking forward to trying out one of the recipes in the next few days.

Blog posting has been somewhat light this week, as we are getting ready to move my daughter into her college dorm Wednesday.

Best wishes, Laura

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older