Wednesday, November 08, 2006

New on DVD: Rodgers & Hammerstein Musicals

Yesterday saw the release of some spectacular Rodgers and Hammerstein musical DVDs: 50th Anniversary Editions of CAROUSEL (subject link) and THE KING AND I, as well as special Collector's Editions of SOUTH PACIFIC and
FLOWER DRUM SONG.

CAROUSEL, THE KING AND I, and SOUTH PACIFIC are all two-disc editions. CAROUSEL also contains the film version of the play LILIOM, which was the inspiration for the musical. THE KING AND I has a fun extra, the 1972 TV pilot for the short-lived series starring Yul Brynner and Samantha Eggar; Eggar provides a commentary. And SOUTH PACIFIC contains both a longer "road show" release as well as the regular theatrical release. All four films contain commentary tracks and other extras.

If you missed last year's anniversary releases of OKLAHOMA!, STATE FAIR, and THE SOUND OF MUSIC, you can buy all the titles except FLOWER DRUM SONG in a single boxed set.

For more DVD goodness, I recommend visiting The Shelf, which has posted an extensive rundown of other recent exciting DVD releases.

6 Comments:

Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

Thanks for the plug Laura!
By the way check out today's "Part 2" of the weekly roundup. We also talk about the Warner Brother's triple feature discs that debuted this week. You and I discussed those not too long ago when you reviewed 7 Men From Now - There are two Randolph Scott discs and two John Wayne discs, among others.
Here is the link. I'm looking forward to the Randolph Scott discs, as I believe this is the first time many of them have hit the home entertainment market.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Nothing means escapism (is that a word?) more than a musical... especially one with Yul Brynner!!

Carousel and South Pacific-- love those too!!

I'm all over it Laura. Your timing is perfect. Thanks.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Thanks for the heads up on this. They all sound good (and of course I have seen them all; but pristine prints and commentaries are what make DVD's so great). I do have Oklahoma which I remember going to the theater with my mother and seeing when it was first released. The movie was so long (with an intermission, even) and it was getting late and so my mom made us leave right when the haystack was set on fire. It was years before I finally saw the ending on TV.

Also, thanks for the link to The Shelf. I have bookmarked it and now have a new blog to visit ;)

4:52 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

My dad just received those Randolph Scott discs in the mail yesterday. :) Lokoing forward to checking them out eventually. While he's watching those, I've got a couple Scott videos here to watch (RIDE LONESOME and MAN IN THE SADDLE)...

Happy to point more people in the direction of The Shelf!

Best wishes, Laura

5:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I agree, Cathy, this is the right time for some extra-good escapism! :) Laura

5:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a fun memory of OKLAHOMA!, Irene.

Hope you'll enjoy The Shelf. The guys over there have great taste in movies and books. :)

Laura

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older