Saturday, February 03, 2007

Summer Movie: Becoming Jane (2007)

Jane Austen fans will be intrigued to learn of BECOMING JANE, in which Anne Hathaway plays the young Jane Austen.

The movie has an impressive cast, including James Cromwell, Maggie Smith, and Julie Walters.

The trailer can be viewed here. As is often the case with trailers for films which have not completed post-production, the trailer "borrows" its score; if I'm correct, in this case music from both Paltrow's EMMA and Thompson's SENSE AND SENSIBILITY is used. Can other Austen film fans confirm? (Update: I think the trailer soundtrack may include a bit of Ryder's LITTLE WOMEN as well...)

While the film will not be released in the United States until August 3rd, it will be out in Britain next month.

7 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

OK, this is on my list of films to see. I love Jane Austin. I watch the A&E production of Pride and Prejudice all the time :)and I enjoyed the newest version also. I agree on the borrowed music but I can't place it. Some of my favorite actors are in this movie and I really like Anne Hatheway. Thanks for the heads up!

PS My blog is now updated.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad I could tip you off to this! It looks pretty interesting.

Looking forward to checking out your blog. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

8:30 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

I'm really upset that we Yanks are going to have to wait 'til August. I think this is grossly unfair. Hmph! I do have hopes for the movie, though. Although I'm not sure Anne Hathaway was the best choise to play Jane. I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

Well, nevermind having hope; all hope is lost. After watching the preview, I see this movie is just another P&P3 travesty. Naked men's backsides, indeed! I propose it shall get lots of Oscar nominations - a sure sign of a movie I'll hate.

Yes, that is music from Ryder's Little Women.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

Naked men's backsides? I missed that and so HAD to go back and re-look at the trailer :)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

Laura,

My earlier posts were tongue-in-cheek. Just wanted to make sure you knew that. :)

4:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

LOL re the backsides.

It really is kind of funny, though, how movies like this seem to feel they need to stick in these brief moments (i.e., Mr. Darcy swimming, etc.) to "connect" with the modern audience!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older