Tuesday, April 24, 2007

New on DVD: Jane Eyre (1943) and More

Today there are some terrific DVD releases of all kinds, including classic movies, new movies, and classic television.

The release which interests me the most is JANE EYRE, which stars Joan Fontaine as Jane, Orson Welles as Mr. Rochester, and a trio of wonderful child actresses, Peggy Ann Garner, Elizabeth Taylor, and Margaret O'Brien.

Amazon's listing of the film's extras is deficient; according to various sources, including this listing at DVD Empire, there are two commentary tracks, including a track with Margaret O'Brien and film historian Joseph McBride. That should be a real treat. Additionally, a discussion thread at TCM indicates there is an isolated track to listen to Bernard Herrmann's musical score.

(As an aside, Warners really needs to think about an O'Brien boxed set with movies like JOURNEY FOR MARGARET, OUR VINES HAVE TENDER GRAPES, THE CANTERVILLE GHOST, and THE SECRET GARDEN. If marketed properly, I think it would be popular with families as well as classic film fans.)

Today also sees the release of THE QUEEN; a review of the DVD can be read at Digitally Obsessed. I'm really looking forward to finally seeing it. My longtime interest in the history of European royalty will add an extra dimension to viewing this film.

NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM was a hit with my children; I haven't yet seen it. The cast includes Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney.

Finally, today is also the release date for WKRP IN CINCINNATI; my copy arrived in today's mail.

The issues regarding WKRP's musical soundtrack and editing have previously been covered in posts here and here. I decided it was worth buying, but WKRP fans should be aware of exactly what they're getting before making the purchase.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Let me know about WKRP. I have it on my list to purchase, but I want your opinion.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

I have always loved Jane Eyre beginning with the assigned reading of this book (in one sitting) when I was in ninth grade. I remember seeing this version and hearing a commentary by Margaret O'Brien will be a treat. Your idea of a set with those movies in it featuring Ms. O'Brien is great idea.

I finally got Four Daughters from the library and saw it the other night. Some of the movie took unexpected turns for me. I did like the movie and agree with your assessments back in your review.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope I can get to it soon, Cathy! :) Have been buried in work and algebra lessons of late (grin).

I also have vivid memories of my first reading of JANE EYRE, Irene -- I still have the paperback copy. I didn't do it in one sitting, though! :) As far as I can remember, the Welles version is the only one I've seen -- I've always wanted to see the George C. Scott version but somehow haven't gotten to it yet.

Glad you were able to track down FOUR DAUGHTERS. You have been very successful locating relatively obscure movies from the library! I wish they would put out DAUGHTERS COURAGEOUS on DVD so you can compare; I'd be interested to know which of the two films you like better!

Best wishes, Laura

12:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Laura,

Just dropped by your blog and found it funny to see you mention Journey for Margaret, as Susan R. and I bought it on eBay to give to Sally Watson for a birthday present! We watched it together a few weeks ago. As usual we are on the same wavelength!

Michele

1:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Dear Michele,

I love it!! That is so wonderful.

I started a long catch-up email to you last weekend which I will try to finish ASAP. :)

Laura

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older