Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter Reviews

Many of the most ardent Potter readers have now finished the book. In our house, three family members have raced through the book in the last 2-1/2 days, and the book is now in the hands of my oldest son.

For those who have read the book, here are a handful of good reviews to enjoy. There are spoilers at the links so don't click if you haven't read and want to be surprised!

A side note, I am not linking to the New York Times review, as I think their embargo-breaking review was very uncool, given how desperately POTTER readers did not want to know what was in the book. Leave it to the NYT to spill secrets -- they've had lots of practice.

First, at the subject link, a very interesting article from The Wall Street Journal which addresses the Potter books as Christian allegory at some length ("Ms. Rowling's moral universe...is subtly but unmistakably Christian"). My daughter noticed a number of additional, more specific things which aren't described in the review.

Another review from The Washington Post: "an instant classic."

And from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel: "After all this time it turns out that we have underestimated J.K. Rowling. Not even her most ardent partisans could have anticipated the triumph that is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

I'm so pleased for those who've been anxiously awaiting the book that it appears to be such a success.

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS is now the most successful book in history, selling at the rate of 50,000 books per minute! It has broken all bookselling records.

2 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

I've posted links to several reviews also (including borrowing two of yours); too much to read, too little time!

Soooo, when are you going to read the books? Come on!

Missy http://missyisms.typepad.com

11:03 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the link, loved your post!

I see that La Shawn Barber has now posted the first of a planned series of essays on her thoughts:

here.

I may read them sometime...we'll see! I certainly enjoy reading about them. :) And since I'm a spoiler-loving person I would actually relax and enjoy them more knowing who lives and dies from the outset. Although I deliberately didn't find out what happened until Oldest Daughter read it, because I didn't want to know before she did, LOL!

Thanks much,
Laura

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older