Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Entertainment News Roundup

I was saddened today to learn of the death of Robert Goulet at age 73. I have listened to the Broadway cast album of CAMELOT scores of times over my lifetime. It's a treasure, and he was a significant part of the CAMELOT magic.

Goulet also recorded some particularly good Christmas music, including a memorable rendition of "Home for the Holidays."

He will be missed.

Katharine Hepburn's estate has donated her theater-related papers to the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center. 22 boxes of papers were donated.

Hepburn's film-related papers have previously gone to the Margaret Herrick Library of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Her personal papers and diaries will eventually also be archived at the Academy.

What a treasure trove for future film and theater historians!

Last week Joan Fontaine celebrated her 90th birthday. (Fontaine's sister, Olivia DeHavilland, is one year older.) Self-Styled Siren and Movie Morlocks had nice tributes.

Fontaine's THE CONSTANT NYMPH, which was described at length by Movie Morlocks, has been largely unseen for decades due to ongoing legal disputes. It was screened this month at USC as part of a program honoring soundtrack composer Erich Wolfgang Korngold, but alas, my schedule didn't allow me to make the drive up to L.A. to see it. I hope the screening is an indication the film might be more widely available in future.

Television's NCIS celebrated the airing of its 100th episode tonight.

Although I lost much of my interest in the show when they killed off Kate (Sasha Alexander), the program is well done and greatly enjoyed by other family members. As one critic points out, the show's humor is a key to its success, as is the perfect match of actor and role with Mark Harmon starring as Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

3 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

My parents had that "Camelot" album...how odd that I remember that cover from all the 100s of records my father had.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Kori and Ken Pellman said...

I was saddened to see the news about Robert Goulet. He seemed to have a good sense of humor - just check out his appearance http://youtube.com/watch?v=p4L1_nGqthsin a Weird Al video:

8:21 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I read today that when Goulet's widow went back to her hotel after he passed away, she found flowers from Julie Andrews, who didn't yet know of Goulet's death. I found that very touching.

Thanks for the link, Ken.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older