Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Remembering

We lost the Space Shuttle Challenger 23 years ago today.

Like so many others, I remember the day vividly. One of the senior partners of the law firm where I worked came in the front door, looking stricken, and told us the news.

We didn't get good radio reception in our building; I remember driving around in my car on my lunch hour that day just so I could hear the news and try to understand what had happened.

Hot Air has video of President Reagan's beautiful speech (click title of this post), with its particularly memorable conclusion. I just shared it with my 10-year-old son and taught him a little about that sad day in American history.

As I watched the video, I also reflected that our country was greatly blessed to have had such a wonderful President.

Update: Like me, Anne was working at a law firm and heard the news from her boss. Also like me, they struggled to get good radio reception. I imagine these days we'd simply boot up live coverage online.

6 Comments:

Blogger jau said...

I cannot believe it was that long ago. How is it possible?! I remember it vividly, too. Your description is so much like mine that it's a bit bizarre -- law firm, partner, stricken.... I'm going to write about it too. Thanks, as always. You're such a gift.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

I too can hardly believe it's been that long. I was home with my then 18 month old daughter and my Mom called me in tears and asked if I had the TV on. I remember being glued to the set for much of the day. I also remember what an honor it was to have Reagan as our President during this sad, hard time.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I was in chapel at college when they announced it and after the service ran to watch on TV. I still remember the horrible shock and that big white Y streaking through the sky.

I knew someone that had been on an east coast flight that morning. They were hundreds of miles from the launchpad, but the pilot came on and announced take off would be delayed to allow the space shuttle to take off. A few minutes later, the pilot said he had horrible news...the space shuttle had exploded. They eventually took off and a while later could see the plumes in the distance out their plane windows.

Missy http://missyisms.typepad.com

11:02 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

I was in high school, in study hall. I got assigned to take a printed notice around to all the teachers.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Cyberkim said...

23 years ago, I was working in a TV shop in the UK. The image of the final moments of the Challenger, repeated across an entire display of TVs was impossible to forget.
I hadn't realized, however, just how deeply affected everyone had been in the US, until I was visiting Dallas on business in 2001. Our host had taken us into the city, and we were standing outside the Book Depository. I'm old enough to remember the day JFK was shot, but our host said he had not been born then, although the Challenger disaster had been a similar event of shared grief to his generation.
Two days later, we flew home via Newark airport. I was fascinated by the New York skyline in general, and by the World Trade Centre in particular.
That was on September 9th.
Two days later, back in England we stood in front of our TVs, yet again, in shared grief.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Many thanks to all of you for sharing your memories.

Cyberkim, thanks for providing a unique perspective from the UK. What an eery coincidence that you flew over NYC just a couple days before 9/11.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older