Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Coming to DVD: The Paper Chase, Season 1

I liked Season One of the 1978 TV series THE PAPER CHASE much better than the 1973 movie of the same name.

For the most part I think the TV actors and situations were more appealing and interesting than the movie, which I thought flopped between being dull and annoying. I never sympathized very much with the students in the film version.

John Houseman recreated his Oscar-winning role as Professor Kingsfield in the TV series, which is coming to DVD. The actors playing the students included James Stephens, Tom Fitzsimmons, James Keane, Robert Ginty, and Francine Tacker. (The latter two actors were married for a short time after appearing together on the show.)

I was very sorry when CBS cancelled the series and am delighted it's going to be available on DVD three decades later. Who could have dreamed when it was cancelled that it would one day be available again to watch whenever we want?

THE PAPER CHASE will be released on April 7, 2009.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms.Daisy said...

This is great news for those of us who were fans of The Paper Chase on TV. I was very sorry when the show was cancelled and I will be looking for it when it is released!
Thanks for the heads up.

~Jean

11:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Nice to know there's another fan out there, Jean!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:30 AM  
Blogger Michele B. said...

I met John Houseman years ago, at an American Bar Association function I went to with my Dad. He was charming. Somewhere there's a picture of him posing with my family - wonder where it got to.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a wonderful memory, Michele! I'm so glad to know he was so nice in person. :) Thanks for sharing that!

Laura

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older