Thursday, February 26, 2009

Deanna Durbin Singing "Nessun Dorma"

Not much time for blogging today, due to a heavy work schedule, but I thought I'd leave a little pick-me-up posted here. If you love Deanna Durbin, click the title of this post for a YouTube clip of her lovely rendition of Puccini's "Nessun Dorma" from TURANDOT. It runs about 3-1/2 minutes.

This is the finale of HIS BUTLER'S SISTER (reviewed here) and is probably my all-time favorite scene from the many wonderful Durbin movies I've seen to date. Among those listening to Deanna singing are Franchot Tone and Pat O'Brien.

4 Comments:

Blogger NoirGirl said...

Oh I want to see this movie! I adore Deanna. She's so beautiful and talented. Francot Tone is always a thrill, too! :)

I wish TCM would show this. I don't think they play enough of her films.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm sure you'll enjoy this movie when you have the opportunity to see it. Tone is wonderful in this. :)

To my understanding TCM has to spend extra $ to license Deanna's movies to show, since they don't have the Universal library available. The last Durbin movie they showed was IT'S A DATE during Kay Francis month. In another year or two TCM will apparently have a license to show many Universal and Paramount movies, so we might start seeing more of her movies airing then. Fingers crossed!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:31 AM  
Blogger Moira Finnie said...

"Nessun Dorma", surely one of the most beautiful marriages of music and the human voice (Thank you, Maestro Giacomo Puccini!) is sung exquisitely by Deanna Durbin--just wish that it were in the original Italian.

While not the ideal way to see the charming Frank Borzage-directed His Butler's Sister (1943), you can catch the entire movie here on youtube. Thanks for drawing attention to this soaring music, Laura. It does my heart good to hear it again.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree. Fabulous song. Have you heare Pavarotti sing this as well? Simply amazing singing!

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older