Friday, April 17, 2009

Magazine Review: Disney Twenty-Three

I purchased the Premiere Issue of the new quarterly Disney Twenty-Three magazine tonight at Barnes & Noble and have been enjoying reading it.

The magazine is beautifully produced and covers a wide variety of Disney-related subjects. A sampling of the topics in this initial issue:

...Disney Chief Archivist Dave Smith.

...the California Grill restaurant at Disney World's Contemporary Resort.

...a visit to Pixar Studios.

...the new stage production of THE LITTLE MERMAID.

...vintage Disney comic strips.

...the Disney publishing company Disney Editions.

...the reopening of Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle.

...the forthcoming Pixar film UP.

...the "Dream Suites" in Cinderella Castle and New Orleans Square.

...a random selection of interesting photos from the Archives.

...the founding of Disney Studios in 1923.

In short, there's something in the magazine for Disney fans of all types, whether a reader is interested in films, animation, amusement parks, books, or all of the above.

You can read more about the issue at the D23 website (click title of this post).

The production quality for this oversized, glossy magazine, which is 63 pages in length, is excellent. They took the precaution of shrink wrapping each copy in cellophane, which I appreciated as this is a "keeper" which will go on my bookshelves as part of my Disney collection. B&N had an unwrapped display copy available for inspection.

I did feel the price of $15.95 was on the high side; my B&N card gave me a 10% discount, but that amount is pretty much offset by California sales taxes these days. I'd like to see it sold for something closer to $12.95, but perhaps that's unrealistic for a specialty magazine of this type.

This new magazine is a wonderful opportunity for Disney to document and share more of its history with Disney fans. I'll definitely be watching for the next issue.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

As you can see I'm back from WDW :) I'm not sure yet just where I'll post about it or share photos, but I'll let you know.

Thanks for the review of this magazine. I'll stop by our BnN and make a decision about purchasing it. I little short on $$$ right now LOL.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Welcome back, Irene!! Hope you had a *fabulous* time. I'm looking forward to hearing the details about your experience!

Best wishes,
Laura

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older