Monday, August 31, 2009

Seriously? Apparently So...

Disney is buying the Marvel Comics empire for $4 billion.

The rest of my family are all superhero buffs, which is fine in its place...but I don't want superheroes invading the world of Disney. They should be two separate worlds, and never the twain shall meet.

I will not be happy if we start to see superheroes in theme parks or in rides, as seems to be expected. My husband theorizes it's partially a move to add to Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's California Adventure. And on the other side of the coin, my superhero buffs are a little worried about how Disney will change Marvel.

Additional bad Disney news: MiceAge reports that Michael Jackson's Captain EO will have a return engagement at Disneyland starting in January. Michael Jackson has always creeped me out -- dating back to the early '80s, I would rip off magazine covers when I received them with his face on the front, as I had a sense there was something really wrong with the guy and couldn't stand looking at him. As the years went by and he got weirder and weirder, those bad vibes I felt were increasingly validated.

I never saw Captain EO, and I never will. I know there will be those who are excited about this news, but I feel that Disneyland bringing back that attraction to capitalize on his death is tacky in the extreme. Disney should not be celebrating a recently deceased, deeply disturbed child molester and drug abuser to make a buck.

Tuesday Update: Kevin Yee of MiceAge analyzes the implications of the Marvel deal. The Orange County Register has more.

2 Comments:

Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

The interesting thing will be to see how this plays out in Orlando. Universal Theme park down the road from WDW has Marvel characters all over the park and several rides based on the characters. How will Disney assert ownership of the images of the characters? Is this a competitive move on Disney's part as a mutlifacted strategy to not only obtain the lucrative movie rights, (the comic books $ isn't exactly anything to get too excited about) and to take a serious blow at the ever-encroaching Universal Studios Parks? I can't even think of where the characters would fit other than at the California park, or Disney Hollywood Park?
Here's what Jim Hill has to say.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Universal Studios here in Universal City also uses Marvel characters...

Thanks for the Jim Hill link, J.C., I'll check it out right now.

Very unexpected news, I'm still having trouble believing this.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older