Sunday, September 13, 2009

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from the Internet...

...The 100 Essential New England Books is an interesting list. (Click the title of this post.) I've read half a dozen of the top 21...

...There's a promo video on YouTube for the upcoming BBC production of EMMA. (Thanks to Mrs. Happy Housewife for the tip.)

...I still can't believe the incandescent light bulb ban will take effect here in a couple years, given the myriad problems with CFLs. I hope the ban is repealed.

...Katie has a nice post up at Obscure Classics celebrating the five-film partnership of Robert Montgomery and Madge Evans. I've seen LOVERS COURAGEOUS (1932) and FUGITIVE LOVERS (1934). Three to go!

...The initial reviews of the new Disney documentary WAKING SLEEPING BEAUTY (2009) were quite positive.

...A political roundup: Rich Lowry of National Review on "An Obama Speech in 13 Easy Steps"; John Hinderaker of Power Line on "Sycophancy Has Its Rewards"; Melissa Clouthier at Pajamas Media on "It's All Academic: The Detachment of President Obama"; Sarah Palin on "Barack Obama and the Bureaucratization of Health Care"; and Thomas Sowell on "What Obama Says Vs. What He Does." Each of these articles is a sobering analysis of what's currently happening in Washington.

...I recently linked to a recipe for a Skillet-Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie. Here's a recipe for Fudgy Skillet Brownies. (Illustration from Martha Stewart's EVERYDAY FOOD.)

...I was unfamiliar with the Accelerated Reader program for students and found the information in this New York Times article disappointing. HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX is worth twice the "points" of SENSE AND SENSIBILITY? SENSE AND SENSIBILITY is worth three times the points for HAMLET? I'm glad my children haven't had to deal with Accelerated Reader.

...MousePlanet has video of the long-delayed debut of Murphy, the reluctant dragon of Disneyland's Fantasmic! show.

...My family got a kick out of It's Just Some Random Guy's humorous video take on the Disney-Marvel deal.

Happy Sunday!

7 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

My daughter is the one who hooked me up to The Just Some Random Guy video. Very funny stuff.

I see Emma is releasing in October in the UK. When is it coming to PBS here? Same time or later?

Waking Sleeping Beauty sounds really interesting.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I haven't heard yet about a U.S. air date for EMMA, but I'll be watching for the news!

I hope both WAKING SLEEPING BEAUTY and WALT AND EL GRUPO are released on DVD...

Best wishes,
Laura

7:34 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

I think Emma will air in the Spring. From the PBS site: "Each winter and spring, Masterpiece classic features signature period dramas." According to the NY Daily News, it's supposed to air "at an undetermined date next year". It's also supposed to be four-hours long, which is great. I feel so slapped after those 90 minute Janes PBS recently popped out. If you're going to do something, do it right.

4:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks very much for the info, Mrs. HH! Fingers crossed this will be good. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

8:30 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

I read somewhere that Emma will air in the United States in 2010, at least that's what I blogged on July 31, 2009...but I have a cold now and can't remember where I read this, probably AustenBlog.com. (How's that for a cold-driven, run-on sentence?)

Don't you think the big brimmed, straw hat with the green ribbon that Emma wears a few times in the teaser looks like Scarlett O'Hara's famous hat?

Missy http://www.missyisms.com

4:50 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the additional info, Missy! I did some looking around at AustenBlog this weekend and couldn't find any info.

That hat does look a bit like Scarlett's...

Feel better soon!

Best wishes,
Laura

5:17 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

AustenBlog.com is a bit messy right now because of server issues. I did find a link from AustenBlog.com to this article in Variety:
http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=print_story&articleid=VR1118005398&categoryid=19

Hope that works. It does say Emma on PBS in early 2010. Ouch, four 1-hour episodes; not the best arrangement.

Missy http://www.missyisms.com

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older