Saturday, February 26, 2011

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...This weekend's Oscar ceremony is discarding most montages, and (thank goodness) getting rid of those verrry long, often smarmy individual tributes to the acting nominees by other actors. However, the montage of filmmakers who have died in the previous year will still take place. It won't include those who died in February, so no tribute to Betty Garrett. And let's hope there's not a fiasco this year like confusing Jean Simmons and Jennifer Jones.

...Two different time zones for the UK? Great Britain may consider permanently changing its clocks, maintaining current "Daylight Saving" hours during the winter and "double summertime" in the summer. The Scots, God bless 'em, are not amused, especially considering some areas of Scotland wouldn't see daylight until 10:00 a.m. during the winter! (Via Missy.)

...My daughter sent me an amusing Infographic explaining the relationships of all the characters on MAD MEN.

...And here's a neat post spinning off from MAD MEN: the Sally Draper Reading List, considering the books likely to be read by a young girl in the early '60s. (Via ConMartin.)

...Speaking of children's literature, Maud Hart Lovelace's BETSY-TACY is now available for the Amazon Kindle.

..."The Wisconsin Protests and the New Medical Ethics": Read it and ponder the future.  And worry.

...Happy Thoughts, Darling takes a close look at THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW (1956) starring Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, and Joan Bennett. I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

...Check out the beautiful photos at Jim Lane's Cinedrome, including a color post on PRINCE VALIANT (1954).

...Southern Californians may want to visit the Samuel French Bookshop on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood, featured in a story yesterday in the L.A. Times.

...Last week Lou Lumenick of the New York Post looked at a number of recent releases, including SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (1957) and MURDER, HE SAYS (1945)...over at the New York Times, Dave Kehr shared thoughts on Warren William and some recent Warner Archive releases.

...On my reading wish list: FROM SPLENDOR TO REVOLUTION: THE ROMANOV WOMEN, 1847-1928 by Julia P. Gelardi. It received a starred review in Publishers Weekly.

...Royal News Watch: Catherine Middleton looked every inch a princess last week as she carried out her first official royal engagement, christening a lifeboat...Catherine Zeta-Jones was presented with a CBE by Prince Charles...and there are darling official photos of the little twins born last month to Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark.

...In California there's talk of a possible tax on sodas and other drinks, in order to "fight obesity." It's a shame that the concept of personal freedom completely eludes those who make such proposals...and what's next after the sodas? Where will this sort of control freak taxation ultimately end? Do we really want the State acting as our Mommy and Daddy? I can't help but think that the Founding Fathers would be incredulous.

...Mike Clark of Home Media Magazine reviewed BODYGUARD (1948), recently released by the Warner Archive. It stars Lawrence Tierney and Priscilla Lane.

...My kids get a kick out of the suddenly ubiquitous Angry Birds game...there's video of a rather clever, fully functional Angry Birds birthday cake.

...Here's a Discovery News story on the relationships between cats and their humans.

...Ending with a feel-good story: "New Zealand Quake Survivor Marries Fiance Who Helped Save Her."

Happy Academy Awards Day, and have a great week!

7 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Clark said...

Thanks for the mention, Laura! I was very impressed by "There's Always Tomorrow," especially by Fred MacMurray's performance.

MC

3:33 AM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

"There's Always Tomorrow" is one of my favorite movies for both Stanwyck and MacMurray. Great performances and very sad. Apparently, the first ending filmed was too depressing and Sirk changed it to the ending we see now. (Sniff) I saw this movie in the good old days of AMC when it was old movies all the time.
I like the article about cats and women. I don't like dogs at all. I have three cats at this time and we are inseparable companions. When my beloved horse died, a friend suggested I get a dog to help me get over it because a dog would follow me around and comfort me. (Her horse had also recently died, and her dogs helped her a lot.) I told her, "My cats already do that."

12:34 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Regarding the reading lists of young girls - in the time frame of 1958 I loved "Pippi Longstocking". Then in the early 60's as a young teen I remember "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" and "Marjorie Morningstar". I know there were others but the titles slip from this "old" mind now :))

1:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, MC! I'm sure I'll enjoy it -- I appreciate your recommendation as well, Panavia.

Panavia, I like both dogs and cats...one of the things I'm enjoying as a new first-time cat owner is discovering how different cats and dogs are...and where they're alike. It's been quite interesting. I do wish I could train the cats to stay out of my bedroom like my dogs do...but on the other hand it's amusing how "vocal" the cats are, especially when hungry; at times I could almost swear they're speaking English!

Irene, I enjoyed PIPPI LONGSTOCKING and A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN too, though it was in the '70s. :) Have never read MARJORIE MORNINGSTAR so I was interested in your mentioning that one. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Laura

1:29 PM  
Blogger Jim Lane said...

Many thanks for the link, Laura; it was appreciated more than I can say. I do put some effort into my illustrations at Cinedrome, and it's nice to hear them complimented. Hope you'll return often!

12:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

My pleasure, Jim! I look forward to visiting your blog again.

Best wishes,
Laura

3:53 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

They didn't really discard with the montages like they said, did they? I remember seeing quite a few of them on Oscar night. Sigh!

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older