Sunday, September 25, 2011

Quick Preview of TCM in December

The tentative schedule for Turner Classic Movies in December has still not been made available online in its entirety, but quite a bit of interesting information has been gathered in a discussion thread at the TCM board.

William Powell is the December Star of the Month, news which is sure to gladden the hearts of countless classic film fans.

Even more exciting to me is the news that TCM has secured the rights to show the beloved Jeanne Crain film MARGIE (1946) -- in prime time on Christmas Eve, no less! I believe Christmas Eve usually features picks by Robert Osborne so he may well have had something to do with TCM licensing this wonderful movie from 20th Century-Fox, which many, many people have been anxious to see.

MARGIE isn't a Christmas film, but it's classic movie Americana which seems perfect for the holidays. For a longer preview of the film, I reviewed MARGIE in 2009.

I'm also very excited that EVERYTHING I HAVE IS YOURS (1952), starring Marge and Gower Champion, is on in December. I've never seen this very hard-to-find MGM musical.

TCM will also debut a new special, A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES: MERRY CHRISTMAS!, on December 6th.

New Year's Eve has an amusing theme: films with a time deadline, including D.O.A. (1950), PANIC IN THE STREETS (1950), and FAIL-SAFE (1964).

I'll have more thoughts on TCM in December after Thanksgiving. In the meantime, October features Buster Keaton as the Star of the Month, and November is a "Battle of the Blondes."

3 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

Thanks for the link to the tentative December schedule, Laura - Everything I Have Is Yours seems to be a rare MGM musical; I don't know it at all. According to Clive Hirschhorn, the story is trite and the film only comes to life during the Champions' dancing sequences. Well, that's good enough for me!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa Clark said...

I'm so thrilled to hear about "Margie"! I have such fond memories of that movie and haven't seen it in years.

MC

3:25 AM  
Blogger Kevin Deany said...

Wow! "Margie" on Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve is turning out to be something special on TCM.

A few years ago they ran "Cluny Brown" on Christmas Eve in prime time. I had never seen it before and instantly fell in love with it.

Hoping history will repeat itself this year.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older