Wednesday, May 30, 2012

New Trailer: Les Miserables (2012)

The musical theater version of LES MISERABLES is a show that's very special to me, especially as an early '90s production I saw with Gary Morris ranks as one of the two or three most memorable theater-going experiences of my life.

I've been quite a skeptic about the film version of LES MISERABLES doing the show justice, especially when it was rumored a few months ago that Taylor Swift might play a leading role. I figured the movie version of LES MIS would end up interesting me about as much as the filming of Andrew Lloyd Webber's PHANTOM OF THE OPERA -- meaning not at all.

The first teaser trailer was released today -- the video link can be found in this article and at countless other places on the web -- and to my surprise, I'm now a believer. The look of the film is extremely impressive, and it appears they're not playing around but have actually made a real, substantive movie musical. I watched the trailer multiple times over the course of the day, taking in all the details; the trailer itself was extremely well crafted.

The director of LES MISERABLES is Tom Hooper, Oscar winner for THE KING'S SPEECH (2010).

We won't know for sure until December, but I now believe that this film is likely to be a success, and I can't wait to see it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

My imagination gene is lacking something. When I first heard about the stage musical version of "Les Miserables" I thought it was a silly idea that wouldn't work. What a dope!

My first singing Jean Valjean was Michael Burgess. (Colm Wilkinson was starring in "Phantom" in another part of town.). The only saving grace about losing it in public is that you are not alone in the theatre with your tears.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Kevin Deany said...

Wow, this looks great, and December can't come soon enough.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older