Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Book Review: John Wayne: The Life and Legend

Over the years Scott Eyman has established himself as one of our finest film biographers.

My shelves are filled with excellent Eyman titles such as PRINT THE LEGEND: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JOHN FORD, LION OF HOLLYWOOD: THE LIFE AND LEGEND OF LOUIS B. MAYER, ERNST LUBITSCH: LAUGHTER IN PARADISE, and EMPIRE OF DREAMS: THE EPIC LIFE OF CECIL B. DEMILLE.

Eyman's latest book, JOHN WAYNE: THE LIFE AND LEGEND is one of the most enjoyable biographies I've had the pleasure to read in recent years.

As those who saw him last month on Turner Classic Movies are aware, Eyman can speak knowledgeably on every facet of Wayne's life.

One of his book's achievements is that he's created a lengthy book -- 658 pages, including the index -- which is a page-turning read even for someone who already knows a great deal about the Duke's life and career.

John Wayne has always been extra-special to me, the star of many favorite films; he's also a local icon in Orange County, where I grew up and still live today. I remember his Newport Beach home being pointed out during a harbor cruise years ago, and of course after his passing the county airport was named in his honor. I especially looked forward to learning more about the Wayne off camera, and Eyman's book did not disappoint.

Wayne's family and friends paint a composite picture of Wayne as an antique collector, a chess player, a loyal friend, and a family man who adored his kids and grandkids but had problematic relationships with each of his wives in turn. One of the fun tidbits is that he loved catalogue shopping and could look at anyone and accurately know their clothing size.

One of the most interesting aspects is the portrait the book offers of Wayne as an educated, well-read man, knowledgeable on many topics; that really should be no surprise, as one would have to be smart to be as good as Wayne was. Those who like to say Wayne was "playing himself" don't really get that, or what a fine actor he was.

As Eyman writes, Wayne built his persona "brick by brick"; he quotes Harry Carey Jr., to whom the book is dedicated, as saying "He worked hard to be a graceful big man. It didn't just happen."

JOHN WAYNE is a treasure trove of anecdotes. One of my favorites was Wayne telling his pal Rod Taylor "I would crawl over the mountains of Beverly Hills on my hands and knees if I could do a movie with Doris Day!" And he really meant it. I love that, especially as USC film professor Drew Casper has suggested Wayne and Day would have been a great team in TEACHER'S PET (1958).

One of the things I appreciated is that while the book is thick, it's better edited than some recent biographies I've read. There's a lot of information but it reads smoothly, without disconcerting changes of topic.

The book includes a section of two dozen glossy pages of photos, many of which I'd never seen before.

A recommended read.

Sincere thanks to Simon & Schuster for providing a review copy of this book.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jerry E said...

Hi Laura
Nice review here of a book that looks most interesting. I have several other books on Wayne but it sounds as though this one really has something new to say.

John Wayne has always been extra-special to me too and has been for 60 years now. I first saw him when very young on TV in "Angel And The Badman" and "Tall In The Saddle" and was hooked! As I got a little older I would go to see every new Wayne film at the cinema as they came out, and that continued right up until "The Shootist" in 1976.

He got derided about his politics in later life but I don't think he was extreme right-wing (he certainly didn't think he was), merely a very patriotic American.

I agree with you that people who say he was no actor could not have watched his films. His range was limited but what he did he did masterfully. No actor who is at the very top for decades, and still immensely popular today, could achieve that if he was no actor. Those scenes with Maureen O'Hara, for instance, in the great films they made together show an adult depiction of the relationship of grown-ups that often seems lacking today.

They really DON'T make 'em like him any more.
Best,
Jerry

3:49 AM  
Blogger James Corry said...

Hi Laura!

It's on it's way fro Amazon.com now. After your review, I can't wait!

Brad

9:42 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope very much that you'll both enjoy the book as much as I did. :)

Jerry, you list a couple of favorite Wayne films -- I love that you were able to see so many of his films as they came out.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:21 AM  
Blogger KC said...

Excellent point about the editing. That has been a huge problem with a lot of recent biographies. This book shows how it should be done!

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older