Monday, March 28, 2016

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...This week's roundup starts by noting the passings of two men whose TV work has meant a great deal to me, Earl Hamner Jr. and Peter Brown. Hamner passed on at 92; I will forever be grateful to him for creating one of my all-time favorite TV series, THE WALTONS. Peter Brown, who died at 80, played Deputy Johnny McKay on LAWMAN, which also starred John Russell and Peggie Castle. I have reviewed the first and second seasons of the series.

...Over at Classic Film & TV Cafe, Rick has a terrific interview posted with Don Collier of THE HIGH CHAPARRAL. Don talks about the challenge of working with Cameron Mitchell, whose personality doesn't sound that dissimilar from his role as Uncle Buck, and of his admiration for John Wayne.

...And while you're at Rick's site, also check out his interview with Audrey Dalton. I loved reading her kind words regarding her DRUM BEAT (1954) costar Alan Ladd and her THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD (1957) costar Tim Holt. She said she's still friends today with Ladd's daughter Alana.

...From Architectural Digest a few years back, a slideshow tour of Jimmy Stewart's longtime home on Roxbury Drive in Beverly Hills.

...Great things are coming from the Warner Archive in April! In addition to the previously mentioned Blu-ray of SUSAN SLEPT HERE (1954) and Volume 10 of the Forbidden Hollywood Collection, there are a wealth of Robert Taylor and Robert Montgomery films coming out next month. Tops on my list is the long-awaited DVD release of Taylor's weird and wonderful WWII propaganda flim SONG OF RUSSIA (1944), costarring the luminous Susan Peters.

...The Self-Styled Siren, Farran Nehme, has written about the 1933 and 1994 versions of LITTLE WOMEN for the Library of America's series, The Moviegoer.

...Netflix has admitted to throttling streaming speeds for its customers watching on Verizon and AT&T devices in order to prevent its customers from exceeding mobile data caps. The data providers who profit from excess usage aren't happy.

...At A Classic Movie Blog, my friend KC has reviewed Donald Spoto's new biography of Teresa Wright, A GIRL'S GOT TO BREATHE. It's out from the University Press of Mississippi. I know many of my readers love Wright, as I do, and will want to check out the new book!

...Here's Ivan at Thrilling Days of Yesteryear on the Jon Hall-Louise Allbritton comedy SAN DIEGO I LOVE YOU (1944) -- which is in my "watch" stack! -- while also paying tribute to Leonard Maltin.

...Additional notable passings: Comedian Garry Shandling, enjoyed by me as Senator Stern in the Marvel films IRON MAN 2 (2010) and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014), died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 66...Actor Ken Howard, who was serving as the president of the Screen Actors Guild at the time of his passing, has passed away at 71...Actress Rita Gam, who was a bridesmaid at Grace Kelly's royal wedding, passed on at the age of 88.

...For even more classic film links, please visit last week's roundup!

Happy Eastertide, and have a great week!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jerry E said...

A lot of interesting items reported there, Laura. Thanks for the pointer to the Don Collier interview. I have always liked him as an actor and his series 'OUTLAWS' was very good. It deserves restoring and releasing.

2:50 PM  
Blogger John G. said...

IMHO, Garry Shandling's "The Larry Sanders Show" is one of the top 10 or 15 shows in the history of television. Rest in peace, Mr. Shandling.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

I had not known about the Teresa Wright bio. I wondered for years if there would ever be one, and I'm so glad it's finally been written.

4:09 PM  
Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Hi, Laura - Have you seen the Architectural Digest "Hollywood at Home" series? The April issues in 1994, 1996 and 1998 feature the homes of Golden Age stars. The Jimmy Stewart feature is from 1998. The 1994 issue is amazing (and features the home of a favorite actor/rancher!) but all issues have wonderful vintage photos and great bios. You can find them on eBay. Jane

4:05 PM  
Blogger KC said...

Thanks for the hat tip. I hope you get a chance to read the book!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all so much for your comments!

Jerry, I had never heard of OUTLAWS before you mentioned it to me, very interesting. Glad you enjoyed the interview!

John, thanks for sharing your remembrance of Garry Shandling. So sad he died as young as he did.

Jacqueline, I'm delighted I could help spread the word on the Wright bio! I know Miss Wright has many fans who will want to read it.

Jane, thank you so much for that great tip, I was unaware of the "Hollywood at Home" series and will look for it -- would love to take a look at that 1994 issue. ;)

KC, I'm going to read that book one way or the other, looking forward to it! Thanks for a great review, glad I could share it with everyone here.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older